Tuesday, February 21, 2012


Today is CD12.  We woke up at around 8:30 am, showered, *DH produced his part of the deal*, and we headed off to the clinic. Once there we delivered DH's part and waited in the lobby to be called in for my retrieval.

At around 10:15 am, I was called back to the nurses station and asked to changed into a hospital gown, put a hairnet on, and warm socks. DH accompanied me most of the time. The nurse checked my heart rate, and took my temperature, then she explained what I should be expecting.  I wasn't allowed to wear make-up, earrings, or anything in my hair (like a hairband), or even contact lenses, so I'm pretty sure I looked terrible. This was no fashion show, for sure! ha...

Then came the anesthesiologist and asked a few questions - do I normally get seasick or carsick, allergies, etc. Out of everyone I'd met, he was NOT the warmest fellow - everything seemed kinda mundane to him; he was so nonchalant.  He inserted the IV - I'm not a huge fan of needles, but I've gotten semi used to them since having to give myself injections - I just looked away for a minute and it was all done!  I'm sure the anesthesiologist does this so much that he actually figured out how to put an IV in without causing pain... actually, I'm sure he has and I'm glad there was no pain.

At about 10:45 am, I gave DH a kiss and I was led by a nurse to the OR.  I've never been in an OR before, only seen them on TV, so I thought it was really creepy.  The nurse instructed me on how to get on the operating table, she provided a warm blanket, and then helped me get my legs in two hanging stirrups. I looked pretty silly with my legs hanging, but everyone in the OR (nurses, anesthesiologist, embryologist) acted completely normal... I guess they do many retrievals, that seeing my legs hanging from some pretty crazy stirrups doesn't faze them anymore.

I think I was lying down for about 3 minutes, when the anesthesiologist said I would feel a little sting in my arm.  At that moment I remember thinking "Okay, I'll pray now"... and the next thing I know I'm waking up in the recovery area sitting in a recliner all bundled up with blankets.  There was a clock in front of me on the wall, the time read 11:09 am. I felt really sleepy. A nurse came by and asked how I was feeling, and apparently (she told me later) I said that I was tired and fell asleep again. I woke up at about 11:40 am and remembered the embryologist coming by to tell me he had retrieved 21 eggs. I guess I was pretty groggy when he came by because I thought he told me that in a dream.  The nurse came by and confirmed that indeed we had 21 eggs.

I think it's interesting that we had 21 eggs retrieved on Feb. 21, 2012. Hmmm.... hope this means good luck :)

At about 11:45 am, DH was called from the lobby and joined me in the recovery area as I devoured some animal crackers and ginger-ale that the nurse had given me.  I was so hungry!

Once I was feeling completely back to normal, one of the nurses handed me my bag of clothes and led me to the bathroom, where I changed.

At about 12:15 pm, DH got the car and drove it to the pick-up area (which was in the back of the clinic). The nurse helped me out and we were off... next stop... Burger King! haha... I was starving and for some reason really wanted Burger King.  I'm not sure why. I'm not a huge fan of fast food, but I was craving it like a madwoman!

After lunch, we arrive home around 1:00 pm.  I rested on the couch for seven hours with my gallon of water next to me, finished a book, and watched some reality TV.  I was feeling okay, but did start feeling quite a bit of discomfort on hour #4 or so. I took some Tylenol, which seemed to relieve most of the pain.

I'm off to bed at 9:00 pm. Tomorrow I'm dreading going back to work. I wish I could have taken more time off, but I just started a new job, and we've kept our IVF completely private from my employer.

Good night everyone! Tonight I pray that we have a good fertilization report.

No comments:

Post a Comment